Sunday, September 21, 2014

Liberty in America

Liberty. Liberty has many different definitions and meanings according to many different people, but it's main purpose is freedom. Liberty is an act of freedom, it gives the societies today the freedom they deserve. It is astonishing to understand that one simple word like liberty could define an entire country like America. America has fought for liberty for years, and as of now we have liberty, we have freedom. During John Adams time, he was fighting for liberty for all men in America especially because of all the wars happening around him and all the free people getting affected. Since, we are talking about John Adams and the freedom of all men, John Adams wife Abigail Adams sent a letter to her husband talking about the freedom of women which was sort of ignored. She wanted to make sure that women get the freedom they deserve because women were the people working behind the men. They are the ones who take care of everything in the household, and work as well. Women deserve the freedom, just like men do so they both deserve liberty. It took some time to get the freedom of both men and women but today we have achieved it and if the question ever comes back to liberty, we will always fight for it. 

3 comments:

  1. I agree with your statement of women fighting for their rights because they aren't receiving it. Very similar to that of the Lowell Mill girls that we read about for HW in American Studies. One of the women I talked about was Sarah Begley and she was furious that the working conditions and salaries of women were far worst than those of the men.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I disagree with you statement of America having liberty. America has yet to receive total liberty. With total liberty, there'd be no discrimination, no problems, and we'd live in a peaceful world. Just today I was discriminated against for the color of my skin, and questioned on the type of environment I lived in. The person who discriminated against me thought I lived in a place of havoc just because of my skin color. We also have women who live in an oppressed rape-cultured place, everyday women are constantly a problem because of what they wear, and what look like. If I had total liberty, I'd be able to walk around the mall naked and no one would have a problem and no one would judge me. But I will not, and I cannot because I do not have total liberty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your statement. You have also given some a new perspective of the argument I have created. I strongly agree that women do not have complete freedom in America. Perhaps, America has only fought for half of their freedom rights, rather than all of their freedom rights.

    ReplyDelete